freecycle-users

[Freecycle-users] Re: [Swami-devel] Soundfont export

From: Josh Green
Subject: [Freecycle-users] Re: [Swami-devel] Soundfont export
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:19:09 -0700

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 08:55 +0200, Predrag Viceic wrote:
> > Hello Predrag,
> > libInstPatch is not dependent on gnome, and there are no plans to make
> > it, or Swami, dependent on it.  Additionally it is already running on OS
> > X using fink, and I have plans to get it running soon on Windows systems
> > as well for the cram compression utility since it is the compression
> > format being used on the online instrument database that I'm almost
> > ready to deploy.
> > Let me know if I can be of any help to you in using it to export from
> > Freecycle.  The API of libInstPatch is not yet stable.  Most changes are
> > additions to the API though, so I imagine the portion of the API that
> > handles saving to SoundFont files will probably not change anytime soon.
> > The goal is of course to have a stable libInstPatch and libswami API but
> > that will take a little time.  Best regards,
> >     Josh Green
>
> Hi Josh!
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply!
>
> Well, instead of gnome, I should have said GTK which from what I have seen
> you
> mainly use for the datatypes (GType, GError), or have I missed something?

libInstPatch isn't dependent on GTK (Swami is of course).  libInstPatch
is heavily dependent on glib (which includes gobject, OO for C).  If you
use libInstPatch, make sure its the development version.  The older
Swami (0.9.x) is pretty old code and not suitable for what you want to
do with it.  libInstPatch CVS is probably the best right now.

> Is there a gtk port for osx? As Freecycle relies on Qt, I was reluctant on
> imposing gtk installaion on Freecycle users, even if Freecycle actually runs
> on linux exclusively and everyone has gtk installed :)

GTK is available for osx, but its part of fink.  I think there was a
native port made, but its for older GTK 1.2, so its of no use for
libInstPatch.  Not sure about glib/gobject without fink though.

> As Freecycle is an OO software it will be very easy to add soundfont export.
> Even better, I already have a class which is ready for the SF2 creation code.
>
> What I should do is:
>
> 1) take the audio chunks (waves between two locked beatlines)
> 2) take the midi note assignements for the audio chunks
> 3) create an instrument by assigning every chunk to it's keyzone depending on
> the midi note for this chunk
>
> What do you think?
>
> Predrag

Not sure I completely understand what Freecycle does, although the
screenshots look impressive :)  Whats the purpose of this application?
My guess is that its for taking a recording of a song and converting it
to samples and MIDI.  So you would likely end up with lots and lots of
samples, correct?  Would these samples be triggered at different
pitches, or only at their original pitch?  If they are only being
triggered at their original pitch you could assign a different sample
per every note of a single instrument.  Perhaps if I had a better idea
of what you are trying to achieve I would have some better suggestions.
How are you storing these samples in Akai sample files?  Perhaps you
could use that as the basis for writing the samples to SoundFont files.

        Josh Green