freecycle-users

Re: [Freecycle-users] Re: [Swami-devel] Soundfont export

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [Freecycle-users] Re: [Swami-devel] Soundfont export
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:11:42 -0700

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 10:18 +0200, Predrag Viceic wrote:
> Le Vendredi 12 Août 2005 09:19, Josh Green a écrit :
> >
> > libInstPatch isn't dependent on GTK (Swami is of course).  libInstPatch
> > is heavily dependent on glib (which includes gobject, OO for C).  If you
> > use libInstPatch, make sure its the development version.  The older
> > Swami (0.9.x) is pretty old code and not suitable for what you want to
> > do with it.  libInstPatch CVS is probably the best right now.
>

> Well, this shows my lack of knowlege in glib and gtk. I was sure that glib is
> part of gtk.

GTK uses glib, but they are independent.  glib/gobject have very little
dependencies themselves and provide lots of simple data types (hashes,
lists, etc), portability functions and an object oriented type system.

At some point I am planning on writing a C++ binding to libInstPatch (it
already has a python one, although not complete yet).  There are some
scripts that automate this.

> > Not sure I completely understand what Freecycle does, although the
> > screenshots look impressive :)  Whats the purpose of this application?
>
> The pourpose is to slice the loop into it's constituents (snare, kick,
> hihat, ...) And to export a midi file which when played at the right tempo
> reproduces the loop. ( midi events are sent to the sampler which has the
> notes assigned to the above mentioned parts of the wave)

Sounds nice :)

> > My guess is that its for taking a recording of a song and converting it
> > to samples and MIDI.  So you would likely end up with lots and lots of
> > samples, correct?
>
> Well, a loop which extends to 4-8 measures has rarely more than 20-30 waves.
>
> >  Would these samples be triggered at different
> > pitches, or only at their original pitch?
>
> Their original pitch.

So you could either have an instrument per sample or you could just have
one instrument with a sample assigned to each key, whatever seems to
make the most sense.  Having 1 per instrument would mean that you would
need to assign different instruments to different MIDI channels and then
you are often limited to 16 channels on many implementations.  It would
make it easier to use in other work though if you dedicated an
instrument per sample.

Have a look at the examples/create_sf2.c file in the libInstPatch
source, it will probably help you.

> Predrag

Cheers,
        Josh