[freesci-develop] Glutton OS X sound support & wrapper for FreeSCI, was:

From: Matt
Subject: [freesci-develop] Glutton OS X sound support & wrapper for FreeSCI, was: Concerning C416: No sound on Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 02:03:41 -0700

The new (and, to a lesser extent, the old) sound kernel are supposed to be reasonably portable, so don't worry about this too much-- an SDL sound driver will appear sooner or later anyway (assuming that _someone_ works
on FreeSCI sound, that is).
Well I plan on working on the OS X version in December (when I have a winter break) and if the SDL driver isn't already implemented in glutton, I'll write it myself.

I like SDL, was there any other similar multi-platform graphic module considered for Glutton or is SDL kinda seen as a standard? It would be nice to get SDL working again for Glutton if its still being considered, I doubt Glutton will give any output right now for OS X.

Specifically I was contemplating creating a Core Audio driver for sound
output, although if possible I wouldn't mind just using a SDL (or
SDLMixer) driver in order to keep the code as portable as possible.
The new (and, to a lesser extent, the old) sound kernel are supposed to be reasonably portable, so don't worry about this too much-- an SDL sound

Well, there are several different flavors if you want to support audio for OS X. You could either go for using Carbon (as SDL does right now), use Cocoa (NSSound) or use HAL directly (which should resemble a lot like Carbon calls). If SDL sound support is being considered it might be the most useful to use SDL anyway for sound and start converting the sound support in SDL to Cocoa or HAL.

What work do you plan on doing for OS X? Specifically I had plans of releasing a double clickable SDL version during my winter vacation that was similar to ScummVM's quality... I was only waiting because I wanted Glutton to become more stable.
At one point, I actually tried to make it drag&drop-startable (drag an
SCI game directory on top of FreeSCI and it will work), but I couldn't
Actually, I know how that works in OS X and I could implement it. Never tried a whole directory however, so I'd have to look into it a bit, but it should be the same procedure. I think the key is that creator of a folder is "MACS" and the type is "fold". Of course that is through Carbon so I'm not sure if it's possible directly in Cocoa. But I plan on doing this this winter so no need to handle it unless you want it earlier.

Cocoa is your friend (for sure in winter;), check out prepareForDragOperation, performDragOperation and concludeDragOperation, I bet the dragging is easier with Cocoa, it just takes some time to get used to its standard. Carbon tows a lot of OS 9 with it which you do not care for in this case, also just having finished some work with task control under Cocoa, its very easy as Cocoa was written with calling unix utilities in mind.

And yes, also I had such a FreeSCI wrapper in mind, however since you are already preparing for it in the winter you should go ahead with it. I had a very basic and small FreeSCI wrapper in an user friendly disk image in mind to help promoting FreeSCI / SDL in the OS X community. Nothing fancy just basic functionality as I am not sure if there are many Sierra enthusiast on the OS X platform. I would still like to see such a thing right now for FreeSCI 0.3.4, making something complex might not be needed if there is not much request for it.
Based on the response you could expand or keep it small.
Slowly starting to understand the Mac community preferably there should be a demo with the wrapper, else you will just a thousand questions back. Let me know if you want to go for something nice for Glutton, I (or us together) could probably wrap something up fast for FreeSCI.

Since you are talking about multiple fixes that you were submitting, do you maybe have a fix for that darn cursor bug that OS X seems to have? My cursor is fragmented, so basically a line, then an empty (see through) line, then a line again, after which a see through line, and so on (kind of like the video in Wing Commander 3 and 4).

Also, would the performance for the adlibemu be better with (real) sound cards instead if the basic Apple soundcards? The only card I find that has OS X support is the Revolution 7.1 but it does not have midi channels. I was hoping to get real midi through my soundblaster live but it seems Creative dropped OS X support. Searching over the internet it looks like the soundblaster cards are the only sound cards left with midi channel support.

Matt