Re: [freesci-develop] Glutton OS X sound support & wrapper for FreeSCI,

From: Matt
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Glutton OS X sound support & wrapper for FreeSCI, was: Concerning C416: No sound on Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:36:39 -0700

That is more or less correct -- SDL is an extremely low-level API -- it
fundamentally provides little more than a raw framebuffer and a
optimized blitting functions.  For example, somethingl ike a line draw
that X accellerates at the hardware level we have to draw pixel by pixel
then blit over.  :)
Ok, this would explain the slowdown on the Space Quest 3 opening, the opening starts as a small blue block and grows in size to cover the entire screen. For FreeSCI this would mean just increasing the block by a few lines on each side, which is fast, for SDL this would mean copying a complete screen each time the 'block' grows.

Though since this was about OSX initially... why couldn't we use the
Xlib driver?  recent releases of OSX include a native X server..
You are right, X11 got very popular and had some released behind. I thought Xlib would be slower as SDL, are you saying it would be faster if we would use Xlib/XWindows for this?

Matt