Re: [freesci-develop] Releases 0.3.4, 0.3.4a, 0.3.4b, 0.6.1 removed due

From: Matt
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Releases 0.3.4, 0.3.4a, 0.3.4b, 0.6.1 removed due to licencing issues
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 05:56:51 -0700

Hi Christoph

I recompiled the code (for OS X) that was available at helllabs (with todays date), fmopl has the following first lines:
<x-tad-bigger>fmopl.c Copyright (C) 1999-2000 Tatsuyuki Satoh
2001-2004 The ScummVM project
2002 Solomon Peachy
2004 Walter van Niftrik
</x-tad-bigger>
Is this the correct version so I can finalize the MacFreeSCI version? I would not want to send the FreeSCI out with the wrong fmopl.

SDL statically linked. The only way I was able to do this was by
changing the configure file myself and replace '--libs' by
'--static-libs' (around line 7636 'SDL_LIBS=`$SDL_CONFIG $sdlconf_args
--static-libs`').
The 'configure' script is auto-generated. I would recommend trying to
find ways to modify 'configure.in' or 'aclocal.in' instead to achieve
the same result.
The change would be needed in acinclude.m4:
<x-tad-bigger>SDL_LIBS=`$SDL_CONFIG $sdlconf_args --libs`
</x-tad-bigger>
--libs needs to be changed into --static-libs this however would mean that all platforms will link SDL statically (if SDL is chosen to be supported with configure).
Would it be possible to make this change? If I need to submit it to CVS just let me know.

Second reason is because (believe it or not) X11&FreeSCI had problems
starting on at least one PowerMac (of a friend).
It looked like X11 was trying to get some color support and then just
gave up (it hung and after a few moments FreeSCI crashed).
Interesting. If you have any further information that would indicate a
failure in FreeSCI, could you submit a bug report
(http://www-plan.cs.colorado.edu/reichenb/bugzilla), please?
I don't think its a FreeSCI issue, I think its a X11 with Mac issue. We have messed around with the system video settings and today X11 is possible again.
The errors were like: 'GFX-XLIB 341: could not get a 32 bit TrueColor visual', there were a few of these lines each time with a different bit number.
Just to get it to work by changing the video settings hints to something more X11 related (or at least, it works now again:).

I think have found a Panther specific linking issue with FreeSCI but I
want to check something before I send the summary on it.
ld: gfx/drivers/libscidrivers.a(xlib_driver.o) illegal reference to symbol: _XShmQueryVersion defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.dylib
Ok, it was the two level name space linker issue again with Panther. I thought I had seen one already with some other projects, it just took some time to recall.
An excerpt from the Mac documentation and listing the same issue is at a VLC site: <x-tad-bigger>http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc-devel/200307/msg00043.html</x-tad-bigger>
There are 2 possibilities to resolve the linking issue:
-force flat name space linking by adding -flat_namespace . I am not sure how optimal this is as I don't think flat name space is being used on every platform and that would mean ifdef-ing it for one OS only
-add the library specifically to link with, so add '-lXext'.
This latter was once the case, it was removed some time ago. This was also the reason the error confused me as I had some older source compiled with Panther.
Not sure why Xext was removed from the list of libraries to specify for linking, but if it can be included again it would be cleanest solution.

And now for the most important issue, the icon. I was planning to use the icon you had referred to inside the code. I found freesci.png but its only 6 bytes or so.
I can not seem to open it with any picture viewer, maybe it was corrupted at one point.

Thanks

Matt

ps
I just noticed you have send a packaging question concerning OS X. Best is to put it in a dimage.