Re: [freesci-develop] Releases 0.3.4, 0.3.4a, 0.3.4b, 0.6.1 removed due

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Releases 0.3.4, 0.3.4a, 0.3.4b, 0.6.1 removed due to licencing issues
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:35:01 +0200

Hi,

> >Please don't link it statically by default on linux.  Dynamic linking
> >is
> Thats what I expected to hear ;)

And I agree with Bas on that one ;->

> Its probably the best to make it a parameter option.

I agree; that shouldn't be too hard. I'll see if I can add that to
CVS, but you'll probably want to change it by hand for 0.3.4c.

> I just wish the sound issue was fixed so that SDL would no longer be
> required (my other wish would be that Apple would by default install
> X11, though its included in the OS X install its by default not
> selected to be installed).

On OS X, SDL is required for two reasons:

(1) Sound server: It provides threaded execution (and thus a timing
    mechanism)
(2) PCM driver: It provides PCM output.

Note:

(a) This also applies to glutton, at the moment. An alternative timing
    mechanism (does OS X have pthreads?) could be used, but a native
    OS X PCM driver would still have to be provided.

(b) I would like to backport the glutton sound subsystem into the
    stable branch once it is sufficiently reliable.

-- Christoph