Re: [freesci-develop] Releases 0.3.4, 0.3.4a, 0.3.4b, 0.6.1 removed due

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Releases 0.3.4, 0.3.4a, 0.3.4b, 0.6.1 removed due to licencing issues
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:47:50 +0200

Matt,

> ld: gfx/drivers/libscidrivers.a(xlib_driver.o) illegal reference to
> symbol: _XShmQueryVersion defined in indirectly referenced dynamic
> library /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.dylib
> Ok, it was the two level name space linker issue again with Panther. I
> thought I had seen one already with some other projects, it just took
> some time to recall.
> An excerpt from the Mac documentation and listing the same issue is at
> a VLC site: http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc-devel/200307/msg00043.html
> There are 2 possibilities to resolve the linking issue:
> -force flat name space linking by adding -flat_namespace . I am not
> sure how optimal this is as I don't think flat name space is being used
> on every platform and that would mean ifdef-ing it for one OS only
> -add the library specifically to link with, so add '-lXext'.
> This latter was once the case, it was removed some time ago. This was
> also the reason the error confused me as I had some older source
> compiled with Panther.
> Not sure why Xext was removed from the list of libraries to specify for
> linking, but if it can be included again it would be cleanest
> solution.

IIRC, you can manually specify it by setting the LDFLAGS appropriately
before running 'configure' (e.g., 'LDFLAGS=-lXext ./configure' for
bash). It would be nicer to test for whether it is required in the
configure, script, of course.

> And now for the most important issue, the icon. I was planning to
> use

:->

> the icon you had referred to inside the code. I found freesci.png but
> its only 6 bytes or so.
> I can not seem to open it with any picture viewer, maybe it was
> corrupted at one point.

That's true for the 'stable' branch; in 'glutton', the icon should be
correct. This also affects all 0.3.4c packages, so I'll re-build them
with the corrected icon. Thanks for pointing that out!

-- Christoph