[Devel] Oversized tables

From: Scott Long
Subject: [Devel] Oversized tables
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 14:03:14 -0800

A few people have mentioned that FreeType has trouble with tables that are BIGGER than the spec says they should be. I've run into a similar problem with a HEAD table that was a few bytes longer than it should have been. FreeType refused to load the font, but after a simple change to allow larger tables the font works fine.

I think maybe it should be policy to always accept a table as long as it's AT LEAST as big as the spec? Bigger tables don't hurt anything, and quite a few fonts have these funky tables. I would make the changes myself, but I don't know all the different spots in the code where the table sizes are checked.

My theory is that whatever software produced the font files was padding its internal data structures to a multiple of 4 bytes, and didn't remove the pad before writing the tables.

Scott Long
SwiftView, Inc. http://www.swiftview.com