Re: [Devel] Mac language ID

From: Steve Hartwell
Subject: Re: [Devel] Mac language ID
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:30:36 -0800

On Dec 16, 2003, at 9:55 AM, George Williams wrote:
Does anyone have any idea what encodings are used for the scripts which
aren't documented on the unicode site? (oriya, bengali, tamil, telugu,
kannada, malayalam, ...)

I've asked this question of Apple and was told that there are no such
encodings. Which I find hard to believe.

The Macintosh Indian Language Kit supports these scripts. I have an old CD of this somewhere, perhaps the character encodings are documented on it. Contact me if you're interested.

BTW, I would also like to access the cmap language code through FreeType; until now I have been interpreting it myself (it's fairly easy since cmap subtables have only two varieties for this purpose, 0-6 and 8-12) but it would be convenient to have a FreeType interface for this if it's not too much trouble.

Best regards,

Steve Hartwell
http://stevehartwell.home.comcast.net/proj/fontinspector