Re: [ft-devel] FreeType patches to support amalgamation

From: Alan Coopersmith
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FreeType patches to support amalgamation
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:08:06 -0800

On 02/21/12 05:02 AM, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
All this work is from Stone Age, when noone shared and everyone
only used a single file and a single command to build something.

Using anything but a shared library for FreeType just seems to be begging
for pain everytime FreeType has to issue a security fix or other critical
fix, and suddenly you need to redeliver every single application with the
FreeType code embedded, instead of one common update to a shared library.

But then I suppose I've been in the Unix/Linux world for far too long,
which provides for this nicely, unlike the horror stories we hear from
other platforms (like those in which you need to deliver via an "app
store" or similar installer everything your software needs that isn't
part of the core OS).

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-              address@hidden