Re: [Freetype] (no subject)

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:35:04 +0100

Hi George,

>     Hi all,
>
> Thank you a lot, a have already subscribed for freetype mailing list.
>
> May I ask you a question?
>
>     I can't understad way when I create a new size object with
> FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes( face, 0, ptsize) or FT_Set_Char_Size( face, ptsize << 6,
> 0, 72, 72) , the maximal value of  bbox.yMax-bbox.yMin (text height) is
> greater then ptsize? Am I wrong or it's a problem of freetype. May by I
> don't understant glyph metrics, but I it seems to be very difficult to
> render text to screen in fixed height, cause I don't have prior knoladge for
> max height.

Actually, the character size (either in points or pixels) is not related
to the exact dimensions of glyphs. For more information on this topic,
have a look at sections 1 and 2 of the following page:

   http://www.freetype.org/docs/glyphs/glyphs-2.html

Basically, there is no need to pre-compute correct "Latin"
ascender/descender, you'll need to proceed through measurements..

Hope this helps,

- David