Re: [Freetype] Re: PS Type1 vs. TrueType

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: PS Type1 vs. TrueType
Date: 14 Jul 2001 16:15:57 +0200

DT> Be careful not to enter into copyright violation issues. If the
DT> fonts are under the GPL, that's OK. For the newest fonts available
DT> with XFree86 4 (i.e. the "Lucidux" family of fonts), I think
DT> things are a bit different.

Correct.  You are not allowed to modify glyphs within the Lucidux
fonts, or to add new glyphs.  The only modification allowed is adding
composites (but only using seac).

The reason for these restrictions is that B&H are very concerned about
the integrity of their fonts.  The only reason we could accept those
restrictions is that Lucidux are brilliantly hinted the way they
stand.

(Although, to be frank, they still miss a few glyphs; they don't cover
all of Adobe Standard.)

DT>     You basically cannot parse directly
DT>     a font file in memory, since you'll need to "decode" the
DT>     ridiculous "encryption" and hex strings before.

You can avoid hex by using the PFB format.  You can avoid encryption
by setting lenIV to -1 (undocumented, and therefore not supported by
all Type 1 renderers).

                                        Juliusz