[Freetype] Re: Arial ttf - bad rendering of some glyphs

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Arial ttf - bad rendering of some glyphs
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:41:11 +0000

On Thursday 12 July 2001 19:10, Pedriana, Paul wrote:
|      >>Windows disables font smoothing <14pt, so it's
|      >>hard to compare FreeType with AA and Windows's
|      >>TT rasterizer generating Black&White pixmaps.
|
|   I don't think it is doing this exactly so on my machine. Here is a
| picture of Windows' Wordpad on my Windows 2000 machine with the letter 'z'
| drawn in Times Roman normal, bold, italic, and bold-italic at successive
| integral point sizes from 5-26.

Look at attached screenshot. It has the effect (disappearing diagonal stem in
"z") David Turner was speaking about.

BTW: David, you were right about Times New Roman - it has "hinting" defect
for "z".  I have tested same character in Palatino (TTF) and Newton (TTF),
diagonal stem for "z" in shown correctly in those typefaces (Italic)
I will post screenshot for Palatino in next mail.

Paul, compare quality of TimesNew Roman (under Linux) with rendering of the
saem font under Windows 98 / 2000.
Despite some problems with several glyphs, general look of AA-enhanced
rendering is much better than on Windows.

|   The 5 and 6 point sizes are being anti-aliased, 7-13 are not, and 14+
| are. When antialiasing is turned off, none of the letters are anti-aliased.
|
|   Also, I don't see any missing diagonal in these Zs, but maybe I don't
|   have it set up properly to show this error.

P.S. I converted 24-bitmap of screenshot to Indexed, Gray. There is no
quality loss after this conversion, as far as I can see. If you are
interested, I can send original screenshot (37.5K, PNG) off list.
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)