Re: [Fsfe-uk] GNU/Linux Desktops for UK Police?

From: Gareth Bowker
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] GNU/Linux Desktops for UK Police?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:45:54 +0000

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 11:42:30AM +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> I don't know if anyone else has picked up this other than lwn.net:
>
> http://lwn.net/daily/pito.php3
>
> Subject line of the e-mail says it all, pretty much: a funded study is
> going to evaluate whether or not rolling out GNU/Linux is feasible for
> the UK police force.

I saw this too. Congratulations to Eddie and netproject - hopefully they can
get it from the "examine the issues of deploying Linux" phase to the
"deploying Linux" stage :)

I'd be interested to know more about the apps that need porting from Windows
to Linux and how netproject plan to do this, as this is an issue that'll face
many more companies that would like to make the switch. If we had some sort
of document to show the cost benefits of using Free Software, including the
costs of retraining and porting of apps, I think this would be of great use.
Does anyone know of any such documents that have already been produced?

Cheers,

Gareth
--
/* Gareth Bowker                     |  address@hidden