[Fsfe-uk] GPL'ing old versions of code

From: Dave Crane
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] GPL'ing old versions of code
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 17:39:45 +0800

-- Richard Ibbotson wrote: ---
The rest of the message is ignored:

> You could produce version 1 and then when you produce version 2 you
> could GPL version 1 and give it away ?

--- to which Bob Ham replied: ---
> Release a version *without* source?  Heresy!

Out of idle curiosity, I wondered if this would be allowed under the GPL.
Assuming that the v2 code reuses a lot of the internal code from v1, then once
v1 is GPL'd, and v2 statically links to it, doesn't the GPL cover v2 as well?

There are other ways of making money out of the latest version of course, even
if its released with source code e.g. pay for a support package or printed docs
or whatever. And withholding the source (which I don't think Richard suggested)
would discourage new developers from joining the project.

Sorry, totally OT!

I'm Dave Crane, BTW, java and linux developer/consultant, based in Bristol.
Wandered onto this list via the local LUG. Hi.

Dave