OT? Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPL'ing old versions of code

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: OT? Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPL'ing old versions of code
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:59:00 +0000

Dave Crane wrote:

> -- Richard Ibbotson wrote: ---
> The rest of the message is ignored:
> >
> > You could produce version 1 and then when you produce version 2 you
> > could GPL version 1 and give it away ?
> >
> --- to which Bob Ham replied: ---
> > Release a version *without* source?  Heresy!
>
> Out of idle curiosity, I wondered if this would be allowed under the GPL.
> Assuming that the v2 code reuses a lot of the internal code from v1, then
> once v1 is GPL'd, and v2 statically links to it, doesn't the GPL cover v2
> as well?

The copyright holder may do what she likes with the code and can release
it under as many different licenses as she desires. Code released under the
GNU GPL remains under the GNU GPL - however that same code can also be
released under a proprietary license as well (by the copyright holder) and
a "closed" development branch started; cf TuxRacer.

I think any proposed accounts package would benefit hugely from being entirely
under the GNU GPL, due to the confidence that could be engendered by a product
guaranteed to remain free and supported - for any business that adopted it
this would be a mission-critical app and closing code would not encourage
involvement.

> There are other ways of making money out of the latest version of course,
> even if its released with source code e.g. pay for a support package or
> printed docs or whatever. And withholding the source (which I don't think
> Richard suggested) would discourage new developers from joining the project.

**Support, support, support**
Faced with a choice between getting a package for nothing and trusting
someone in
their IT dept to tinker with it
_vs_
Paying huge amounts of money for a well-supported GPL'd package

*any* manager of a large company would always pay the money.

It's all about accountability - if you'll excuse the pun ;-)

> I'm Dave Crane, BTW, java and linux developer/consultant, based in Bristol.
> Wandered onto this list via the local LUG. Hi.

Hello Dave

- Richard

--

Richard Smedley