Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPL'ing old versions of code

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPL'ing old versions of code
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:50:14 +0000

Phil Blundell wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 10:03, Richard Smedley wrote:
> > Phil Blundell wrote:
> >

> > > The FSF does more or less exactly this with Ghostscript.
> >
> > Are you sure?
> > from http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript/ghostscript.html
>
> I don't really understand what you're saying here.  Perhaps we're
> talking at cross purposes, but the text you quoted seems to pretty much
> match what I thought.
>
> Which is the particular bit that you were interpreting as meaning
> something else?
>

> > Obtaining GNU Ghostscript
> >
> > GNU Ghostscript is a copyrighted work (artofcode LLC owns the
> > copyright); it is distributed under the GNU General Public License. You
> > can get the current version of GNU Ghostscript by Internet FTP
> > from
> >
> >        ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/gnu/

Hmm. It seems to say that "GNU Ghostscript is a copyrighted work
 ......it is distributed under the GNU General Public License"

However Martyn has pointed out that it is from another work
under the "release earlier versions as GPL" model discussed
by Richard (Ibbotson) earlier.

- Richard

--

Richard Smedley