[Fsfe-uk] Re: GPL'ing old versions of code

From: Richard Ibbotson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: GPL'ing old versions of code
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:58:42 +0000

Dave

> Out of idle curiosity, I wondered if this would be allowed under
> the GPL. Assuming that the v2 code reuses a lot of the internal
> code from v1, then once v1 is GPL'd, and v2 statically links to it,
> doesn't the GPL cover v2 as well?

As I understand the GPL if you first of all produce an application
that is GPL'd then you have to completely re-write it for version 2.

This is okay because most accounting packages are completely
re-written every time a new release comes along.  Part of the
marketing pitch of companies like Sage is that they have re-written
it to make their application more secure than it was.

So, I think Miguel de Icaza's arguement about re-use of code doesn't
quite fit in with accountancy packages ?  Probably GNUcash but then
it isn't completely re-written every time and the marketing people
couldn't call it secure enough.  Then again there's the Government
PKI argument which says that accountancy packages will be secure.

Thanks

--
Richard