Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing
Date: 15 Mar 2002 07:21:54 +0000

On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 22:39, Ramin Nakisa wrote:
> On Thursday 14 March 2002 21:28, Imran wrote:
> > Point 12 "The Government should consider using OSS as the default
> > exploitation route for UK Government funded software." of the Summary of
> > conclusions of the QinetiQ report.
> >
> > (http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/documents/QinetiQ_OSS_rep.pdf)
>
> My ideas are both brilliant and original.  Unfortunately the ones that are
> brilliant aren't original and the ones that are original aren't brilliant.
>
> Thanks Imran, I'd forgotten about that document.  I've just re-read bits of
> it, and it seems very reasonable.  We should use it as a reference.  In the
> Future Trends section (page vi) they say:

We shouldn't use it as a reference per se, parts of it are absolutely
terrible!

Read http://www.alex.uklinux.net/Documents/Qinetiq_problems.html

OSS as an exploitation route within the rough lines of the QinetiQ
report isn't necessarily a good idea; they don't define OSS particularly
well, although they sometimes reference the OSI definition.