Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:59:28 GMT

Imran Ghory <address@hidden> wrote:
> (See for yourself, ask some pseudo-random people what they recognize by
> the name "Linux" and what they think "GNU/Linux" is)

An unreliable sample of four (done individually) suggests that they don't
really seem to know the difference and claim both are the same thing.  Argh!
The fifth just came out with your claim, but only at the second guess (first
was that GNU/Linux is a standard which distributions are compared to).

Anyway, are we meant to be pandering to their ignorance, or educating the
reader?

> I have no objection if something like the following was used,
>
> The term Linux is used to refer to the Operating System made by combining
> the Linux Kernel with GNU Project utilities.

But that is the exact opposite of the truth!

[What is GNU]
> Things which are the core of an OS, system resource managing software,
> file system software, compiler/assembler. Basically utilities rather then
> apps.

Sounds like you need educating.  There are GNU apps too.  Given that one of
my first exposures to GNU was via apps rather than basic utilities, maybe I
have a different view to most.  Then again, won't most users see Gnome
before they see cut or similar?
--