Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing

From: Ramin Nakisa
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:57:53 +0000

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 19:50, you wrote:
> Can we distill these down to 4-5 bullet points, targeted at specific
> areas (governemnt, education, business, individuals, etc).  "Top 5
> reasons to use free software in education", "... in business", etc.

It would be nice if we could back some of these up with numbers.  I know that
in business particularly the cost savings are important, so some real numbers
would be nice from people who have experience of such things.

There are 3000 employees where I work, and everyone has a PC.  So if you
multiply that by the annual XP license fee... which I don't know... Then we
have a huge floor full of servers...  Then there are all the commercial
packages we use, such as Lotus Notes, Sybase etc.  I think we should be able
to come up with some remarkable and totally convincing numbers.

I think we could make a good case for govt. paying companies to write Free
Software.  In effect they'd just be paying the daily rate of programmers
rather than paying for the software itself.  And it would be nice if the
uber-nerd in charge of the project wasn't part of the business, so they would
ensure that the code was well designed and commented.  Obfuscated GPL code is
as good as proprietary.

Ramin.