Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Associate status application

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Associate status application
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 19:00:00 +0100

"Georg C. F. Greve" wrote:

> Dear Marc,
>
>  || On Wed, 22 May 2002 14:34:42 +0100
>  || Marc Eberhard <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>  me> I would recommend to consistently use British spelling throughout
>  me> the text.
>
> I agree. Sorry for that.

I always defer to the Oxford Guide to English Usage, at least
whilst my better half is away in town, mostly because it is the
only book I have on the topic.

-ize and -ise

-ize should be preferred to -ise as a verbal ending in words in
which both are in use.

1. The choice arises only where the ending is pronounced eyes,
not where it is ice, iss, or eez. So: precise, promise,
expertise, remise.

2. The choice applies only to the verbal suffix (of Greek
origin), added to nouns and adjectives with the sense 'make
into, treat with, or act in the way of (that which is indicated
by the stem word)'.

.examples snipped.

3. In most cases, -ize verbs are formed on familiar English
stems, e.g. authorize, familiarize, symbolize; or with a slight
alteration to the stem, e.g. agonize, dogmatize, sterilize. A
few words have no such imediate stem: aggrandize (cf.
aggrandizement), appetize (cf. appetite), baptize (cf. baptism),
catechize (cf. catechism), recognize (cf. recognition); and
capsize.

Most sources seem to agree that it doesn't matter, just be
consistent.