RE: [Fsfe-uk] NCC Filetab for Linux

From: Martyn Ranyard
Subject: RE: [Fsfe-uk] NCC Filetab for Linux
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:23:04 +0100

Hello Chris,

First, I am bored of this now, so apologies for any terseness, take this email along with the two I have already posted.

I was slightly unpolite, but no more so than someone promoting non-free software on a free-software list.

FileTab/Linux asks you to agree to a non-osi/fsf license before you download it.

You indicated the exact thing that I was (albeit slightly less politely) trying to convey - the email content is "against the aims of the FSF and associated groups". This is an FSF-europe list.

You also are asking me to keep double standards. I will not. Full stop. This program is not open source, and how can saying that I don't want closed source software "contribute to the negative image of open source software". It contributes to /my/ negativity towards /closed-source software/. If Mr Gough is upset with me, tough. If he is aware of how this list operates, he will know that that is not an official response of any group. If not, then he isn't looking hard enough. I do not censor my opinions on a public list because they /might/ possibly be seen as coming from a particular group. I think you underestimate Mr. Gough if you expect him to take my opinions as a full and balanced viewpoint of the entire opensource/free software movement.