Re: [Fsfe-uk] Richard Stallman 1st seminar

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Richard Stallman 1st seminar
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 01:44:34 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:

> Ramanan Selvaratnam <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I tought AFFS could have done much better by having a stall with the usual
> > paraphenalia outside to alleviate such misunderstandings.  [...]
>
> Yes, we could.

I'm not sure it would have been quite appropriate in the
circumstances.

Perhaps we should be scientific in our evanglising, do we know
what is the best way to convey the free software message? I
think discussion with those who understood it well was the best
for me, although I spent many years with a limited
understanding. I'm not sure everyone else is into long
conversations of such a nature, or we have enough time to
discuss it one to one with others.

At the LSE some of the post graduates were carrying bits of
paper telling them who their speaker was, what free software is,
it wasn't clear all had taken it on board, or even read it.

One or two were beginning to grasp the economics of free
software in the discussion afterwards, with much discussion of
the 'tragedy of the commons' and such ideas, although free
software economic wasn't the topic.