Re: [Fsfe-uk] Richard Stallman 1st seminar

From: Gordon Joly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Richard Stallman 1st seminar
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 11:30:50 +0000

At 13:27 +0000 3/12/02, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
>On Tuesday 03 December 2002 11:04, Gordon Joly  wrote:
>
>> RMS outlined three types of works in his thoughts on copyright
>
>I was there too.
>What I heard was that RMS gets many queries as to how the successes gained on
>freeing software can be extended/generalised to other things.
>
>He suggested that everything be catergorised by their purposes.
>That way we arrive at three purposes
>Functional , Entertainment and Representative.
>

>> 1) Teaching technical
>>
>> 2) Artistic - novels
>>
>> 3) Monographs - the thouhts of a single author
>
>I suspect we dare making the same points except for accuracy of the words
>used..
>(I took notes :-)

Yes; you are correct - I was working from memory....

>> I wanted to ask Stallman which class the GNU Public Licence (GPL) full
>> under?
>
>Is it not that software programs were catergorised clearly with recipes,
>manuals, textbooks, reference works, (dictinaries , encyclopedias ...) etc as
>serving a functional purpose.
>
>So I think he implied GPL falls into the first category (Functional purpose)

Whereas some might suggest that the GPL is representative of RMS.

What of the "Artistic Licence" under which Perl can be used?

<http://www.perl.com/language/misc/Artistic.html>
<http://www.perl.com/pub/a/language/misc/Artistic.html>

>The representative purposes includes things I have seen covered by GPL but is
>it not that GFDL (GNU Free Documentation Licence) is intended for this (also
>for rest of the functional purposes)?
>

>Regards
>
>Ram

I am referring to the (GPL) licence itself, not what it covers.

Gordo

--
Linux User No. 256022///
http://pobox.com/~gordo/