Re: [Fsfe-uk] Documentation

From: Marc Eberhard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Documentation
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:29:12 +0000

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 10:12:19AM +0000, Richard Smedley wrote:
> >Maybe we can come up with a one-size-fits-all? We probably don't need to
> >squeeze every square millimeter of space of the page.

> This risks looking a little odd in some formats.

I think, we can take that risk. Remember, all offers so far were
last-minute.

> Generally a JPEG or PDF is best - /but/ if there is a mistake it
> can't be corrected.
> You could supply text, graphics and fonts separately - and let the
> magazine's Art Ed sort it out. It would be best to have all of this
> ready and to ask what is preferred in each case.

OK, any volunteer who wants to give it a try? I still prefer tex/metapost as
it allows to produce the different formats via scripting. Including redoing
everything for different page dimensions.

Maybe it would be good to have some kind of a brainstorming session: What
about a few drafts simply in gimp as PNGs? Doesn't need to be perfect, just
to check out a few different ideas on how such a page could look like. Or
maybe a scanned PNG from some sketch on paper? I think at this stage, we
only want to discuss simple low quality drafts. We can then select the ones
we like most and do them properly as vector graphics. Anyone any bright
idea?

Bye,
Marc

email: address@hidden, address@hidden