Re: [Fsfe-uk] Documentation

From: Nick Veitch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Documentation
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:28:09 +0000

Marc Eberhard wrote:

>OK, any volunteer who wants to give it a try? I still prefer tex/metapost as >it allows to produce the different formats via scripting. Including redoing
>everything for different page dimensions.
>
>Maybe it would be good to have some kind of a brainstorming session: What
>about a few drafts simply in gimp as PNGs? Doesn't need to be perfect, just
>to check out a few different ideas on how such a page could look like. Or
>maybe a scanned PNG from some sketch on paper?

the easiest way to do this is to
a) sketch out a rough idea(s) and decide on the content
b) work out what formats it will be required for (page dimensions, half
pages too maybe?)
c) create resonable sized graphics or whetever specifically needed
d) Get an art guy on one of the magazines to actually lay it out, with
different uses/dimensions in mind. Then they can provide it as a pdf,
JPEG, or whatever

Although I often thing the skills of these art monkeys are overrated,
this is the sort of thing they do every day, and they will take into
account all the design considerations of different sizes etc. They also
know what will make things easier for the other art guys.

I'm sure I could prevail on someone here to do the final layout if you
want to come up with the basic idea and materials.

I guess the real question is, what function do you want the ad to
perform? Is it to simply promote awareness of the AFFS, promote some of
the individual campaigns, encourage more membership, etc?
Doing all of these at once might be possible, but with so many messages,
the ad would be a bit conflicting.

>I think at this stage, we
>only want to discuss simple low quality drafts. We can then select the ones
>we like most and do them properly as vector graphics. Anyone any bright
>idea?

That's the best idea. They don't have to take too long, just sketch
something out, and generate as many ideas as possible.
I may even come up with some myself...

--
Regards,

Nick Veitch