[Fsfe-uk] Upcoming Exhibitions

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Upcoming Exhibitions
Date: 03 Feb 2003 21:21:21 +0000

Hi guys.

I bet you all keep up-to-date with our website*, and so you'll probably
have noticed that there are three Expos this year:

        http://www.affs.org.uk/diary.html

Of course, things can always be cancelled, but there's no air of
impending doom about any of these events yet - and the next one will be
a welcome return to the Birmingham Expo (in fact, I should update the
diary page to reflect that fact...)

Now, although AFFS has been at a few events now, we've only really had a
stand at one of them. We had leaflets to give out, posters for people to
read, and of course a few people to talk to. However, we should always
try to do better - and there are definitely things we can do to make a
better impression.

I've heard various ideas - some useful, some bizarre :) - but would
welcome any ideas from members of this list. Among the criteria used to
determine whether or not something happens are:

- shouldn't be expensive (i.e., should be cheap :),
- should promote Free Software rather than attacking proprietary
software,
- should be interesting to as many people as possible whilst targetting
those likely to be most in need (e.g., no preaching to the choir),
- should encourage people to join/participate in the AFFS,

Etc. There are different classes of things we can do too. Stand fixtures
are something we could look at doing - we've had suggestions of stuffed
dove toys before, or displays of Free Software (or, X shiny flashy thing
to draw people into the stand), etc. Give aways are another: CDs of free
software, lollypops, stuff like that. We could run competitions,
tombolas, raffles, or miscellaneous other betting opportunity. One idea
that could probably fly would be putting new memberships into a hat and
giving some sort of prize to the winner.

What do people think? The benefit of planning now, of course, is that we
give ourselves a chance to actually do some of this in time for the
upcoming Expos, so the more help now would be really appreciated :)

*: Okay, this may be some exaggeration, but I like to think so anyway!