Re: [Fsfe-uk] Upcoming Exhibitions

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Upcoming Exhibitions
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:12:10 +0000 (GMT)

On 4 Feb 2003, Richard Smedley wrote:

> > > How about BETT?
> > > - the education software/IT expo in January.
> > > It's not cheap, but well worth working towards.
> >
> > In the past SuSE have attended this event. Perhaps they would be willing
> > to sponsor AFFS attendance.
>
> Sponsorship would be a great idea :-)
> Unfortunately there is the small matter in this case of
> SuSE (specifically YaST) /not/ being freely distributable :-(

As a distro I agree however aside from YaST do they inpede the use of Free
licenses in other software they develop/contribute to?

SuSE seem to be the one company in the community that are still actively
going after these "markets" and I think it would be a shame to miss out on
an opportunity to "spread the good news (or gnus)" just because the people
paying the costs don't follow Free Software philosophy 100%.

Of course they may not be interested anyway.

SuSE was just one suggestion. If RH or someone else (IBM perhaps?) are
willing to offer financial support to cover the costs of AFFS activities
at such exhibitions/events I think it would be worthwhile encouraging them
to do so.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/                   Sign Up Now