Re: [Fsfe-uk] Upcoming Exhibitions

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Upcoming Exhibitions
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:24:22 +0000 (GMT)

On 4 Feb 2003, Richard Smedley wrote:

> I realise it seems picky - but it /is/ important

I very much understand and agree.

> > SuSE was just one suggestion. If RH or someone else (IBM perhaps?) are
> > willing to offer financial support to cover the costs of AFFS activities
> > at such exhibitions/events I think it would be worthwhile encouraging them
> > to do so.
>
> Absolutely - if anyone has any informal contacts,
> now might be the time to use them, before we
> try going in the front door ;-)

> > I didn't think RH was either these days.  That's why
> > linuxemporium.co.uk
> > has stopped shipping cheap CDs with the ISOs burned on until the legal
> > situation becomes clear.
>
> Ah - but it's not about /software/ - it's about
> trademarks and copyrighted /images/

But it has the same effect - after all anyone could redistribute SuSE so
long as they replace YaST. Similarly anyone can redistribute RH so long as
they replace the images, etc.

> Maybe I'll ask SuSE about their experiences at
> Bett, and the stand prices...

One thing I learned while at Definite Software - if you leave it to the
absolute last minute you can often pick up a nice stand for less than a
1/4 of what the organisers wanted originally.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/                   Sign Up Now