Re: charity disappointmnet (was Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did...

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: charity disappointmnet (was Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did... (early Feb 2003))
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 00:36:54 GMT

Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm not a member yet (I've been too busy to send in my form) but the
> news about charitable status is very disappointing.

Well, that's a shame, but we'll still appreciate it when you do send in your
form.

> I would have thought that the AFFS was a perfect candidate for
> charitable status, it exists purely to promote the benefits of free
> software; doesn't it?

   The constitution of the Association for Free Software sets out five aims,

   # to promote and advance the knowledge, development, use and application
     of Free Software pioneered by the Free Software Foundation and others.

   # to facilitate the exchange of information and views on the use and
     development of Free Software.

   # to inform upon the subject of Free Software.

   # to encourage internationalisation and localisation of Free Software.

   # to ensure the continued legal existence of Free Software within the
     United Kingdom.

(from http://www.affs.org.uk/about.html)

It seems that fifth one is *still* close enough to be political, despite
weakening it from the original wording.  Damn.

--
MJR