Re: charity disappointmnet (was Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did...

From: Oliver Elphick
Subject: Re: charity disappointmnet (was Re: [Fsfe-uk] What the treasurer did... (early Feb 2003))
Date: 07 Feb 2003 11:34:57 +0000

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 00:36, MJ Ray wrote:
> Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I would have thought that the AFFS was a perfect candidate for
> > charitable status, it exists purely to promote the benefits of free
> > software; doesn't it?
>
>    The constitution of the Association for Free Software sets out five aims,
>
>    # to promote and advance the knowledge, development, use and application
>      of Free Software pioneered by the Free Software Foundation and others.
>
>    # to facilitate the exchange of information and views on the use and
>      development of Free Software.
>
>    # to inform upon the subject of Free Software.
>
>    # to encourage internationalisation and localisation of Free Software.
>
>    # to ensure the continued legal existence of Free Software within the
>      United Kingdom.
>
> (from http://www.affs.org.uk/about.html)
>
> It seems that fifth one is *still* close enough to be political, despite
> weakening it from the original wording.  Damn.

The "normal" solution is to split the organisation into two.  AFFS
charity would drop aim 5; AFFS political would have it as its main aim.

Whether that is worth doing would depend on how much money goes to each
side; if most of it is spent on the charitable aims, it is worth doing.
If most is on campaigning, it isn't.

--
Oliver Elphick                                address@hidden
     "But the LORD is in his holy temple; let all the earth