Re: [Fsfe-uk] New committee proposal

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] New committee proposal
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:43:31 +0100

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:02:53AM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:
> Just to keep you all up-to-date on what's going on: on 13th, Marc emailed
> the three of us with a number of issues asking for our opinion (netiquette
> dictates that I not post private email contents here; if you want to know,
> speak out and perhaps Marc will make the details public).

He probably won't; at least not immediately cos he's away :) I should
apologise for cttee not having made a statement thus far (I'll come back
to this in a minute).

> I've also talked with Alex about my concerns in how the process and our
> discussions were conducted "behind the scenes", rather than in the public
> forum of this list. Hopefully this will change in the future, but as I'm
> not on the committee to constantly challenge them on this, it may not!

It probably will. I can say I would have preferred to have a different
process. This is going to be one of the things we're going to announce: I
don't think I can say anything without having talked to the guys who are
aware, but it turns out there are a number of serious issues with the
process as it stands in our constitution.

I think it unlikely that we will ever have a completely public voting
system (like I know some other orgs have), but I guess even that could be
up for discussion.

> I assume that Ian and Adam are now (or will shortly be) members of the
> AFFS committee. I wish them the best of luck with what will surely be a
> challenging post.

That is the case. We will of course be saying something officially,
hopefully around this time next week.