Re: [Fsfe-uk] New committee proposal

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] New committee proposal
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:52:25 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Alex Hudson wrote:

> I can say I would have preferred to have a different process. This is
> going to be one of the things we're going to announce:

Again, this demonstrates the fact beautifully. I don't think these things
should be just "announced" - I know you'll say that trying to organise
things in public don't work and descend into flamewars, but how about a
simple email saying "we're having x, y, z problems with our current
constitution, we're working on it to fix them, comments welcome"?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Jason Clifford wrote:

> When was the vote? I don't remember seeing anything about it after the AGM
> where it was deferred with a statement that there would be a vote open to
> the membership.

The vote wasn't. The way it worked was the cttee asked for nominations for
three available posts. Three people stood. They mailed the list saying
"unless we hear otherwise, we'll probably add them to the cttee". They
heard otherwise for me, but no problems for the other two.

> I know that Marc stated there is no need to have an election if there are
> not more applicants than posts however if the number of applicants == the
> number of posts ( or <= ) how is it that there seems to have been no
> position for Andrew?

Because the committee decided that at this time it was not appropriate to
add me. It is their prerogative due to the way the new posts were added
(co-opting rather than voting).

> If there were three positions and Andrew's election to the committee has
> been blocked without any reference to the membership something seems to be
> wrong to me.

I did actually ask Alex and the committee to open up the debate to the
membership prior to the "election" and after the decision. This has been a
learning process for the committee, and hopefully next time the same
mistakes won't be made.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden