Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Free software project grants

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Free software project grants
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:44:30 +0100

On 2003-10-17 15:50:34 +0100 Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
When people make applications, I think they ought to be publically
viewable. I've not really seen a convincing argument that they should be
private.

There may be a good argument to keep any financial information submitted as justification for the requested amount private, in order to avoid disclosing that to commercial competitors. I have been looking around at random and have yet to find any non-academic award-making body that published much submitted financial information beyond the award amount. Very few seem to publish anything beyond a short abstract until the project is over.

I agree that aims need to be (essentially) specific, measurable, attainable, reasonable and timed. Further, I agree that it shouldn't turn into a popularity contest, but give members the opportunity to submit supportive statements for an application if they so wish.

For now, I think we need to agree a general process and specify criteria later (but before any grants are made!). I hope that the rest of your message will be taken into the guidelines when they are drawn up. I am not sure it will be possible to judge entirely on guidelines, as that leads to "scorecard" mentality which may not benefit anyone involved.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden