Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Free software project grants

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Free software project grants
Date: 17 Oct 2003 16:31:06 +0100

> The most important decision, therefore, and probably the one which needs
> most input, is what guidelines are used as the basis for judging a
> project. The projects are going to be judged somehow, and whoever is
> judging them should be judge them all on the same basis. The key
> question is: what does it mean to be a good application?

There is in the end going to be a value judgement because the projects
will be very different. I agree with 2 key points

Defined outcome is essential.
The benefit to furthering free software in the opinion of the decision
panel.

I doubt you can be more precise than that.

Beyond this some account of ability to use the funding to lever further
funding might also be a recommendation though this could be considered
to be contained in point 2.

Regards,
--
ian <address@hidden>