Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [centres] Free Libre Open Source Software

From: Tom Coady
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [centres] Free Libre Open Source Software
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:06:22 +0000

Adam Moran said the following on 12/01/2004 02:46:

The content of this site is determined in main by the UK Online centres themselves. The Community Programmes team of Becta [1] run this job; as I understand things, what ever information the centres require goes on the site. (This site does not provide learning materials though. The C-M team have recently launched http://www.aclearn.net/ which is hoped to remedy this in part).

Ah BECTA! I never knew they were so useful! And I am so glad I found aclearn.net - how useful is this?

"As a team the Community Programmes, thinks that the web is a publishing medium and that it enables the development of 'androgogy', that is self-directed learning. We feel that we should be involved in the development of tools that people can deploy for their own purposes." [2]

Andragogy? I am way out of my depth here! Sorry, I feel like I am unlearning now!

The team encourage centres to publish web content, and offers pragmatic help and support.

Does that explain why it appears to contain a lot of random material that widely available elsewhere on the web?

The team support the [centres] email list and may be able to construct something useful out of our discussions.

Perhaps they would consider supporting the FSFE list as well. I am sure we could really use their help, when we are not learning androgogiously.

> ...and what could you provide community ICT projects in future?

I am unsure how long this infrastructure will last in its present form. I trust that the lessons learnt by the ICT sector in these centres will be refined in future community activity.

Sounds like a really well sorted strategy. Congratulations on creative use of taxation. Makes me feel happy to pay tax.