[Fsfe-uk] Re: [centres] Re: Free Libre Open Source Software

From: Angus Coull
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [centres] Re: Free Libre Open Source Software
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:53:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hello all,

I am running 3 UK Online centres in one of the regeneration areas of Southampton.  To save costs we are using Open Office for public use.  From time to time we get a few complaints about the application ,but this comes mainly from experienced Microsoft users.  Many of our other clients are first time computer users and find OOo easy to use.  We never discourage the use of MS Office and understand it is an industry standard, but for a project on a limited budget, Open Office has been a God send.

I never have trouble with opening files in either formats and the latest OOo runs PowerPoint like a dream. Through Open Office I have become an Open source software convert and use a multitude of software available for free from the internet.

There seems to be no winners in this battle, but as Microsoft does not support a community project like mine, I have to make use of alternatives available to me.

I would say make some time to learn this new application, you may be pleasently surprised.

Angus

Hi Joe, Hi Centres

Joe Fortey wrote:

> I strongly support the appropriate use of open source software, but the
> problem for me (perhaps for most people) is not the the learning curve
> to use a different office suite but the flakey compatability with
> Microsoft file formats.

I recently switched my main work machine to Red Hat Fedora [1]; the only
thing that was stopping me switching operating systems was the question
of 'flakey compatability with Microsoft file formats'. I took the plunge
and I now use Open Office 1.1.0 instead of Microsoft Office.

> Until Open Office (or any alternative) can allow me to open or edit or
> save any Microsoft document without page formatting or some other
> feature being corrupted, it just ain't worth the fiddle - Open Office
> may be both free libre and free gratis but my patience isn't libre, nor
> my time gratis.

Yeah - I know what you mean :-( ... I have one remaining Windows machine
in my office ... and that's to read, and append word files which are
sent to me. We have had to change the formatting of our standard
documentation also. New documents are fine though ... its more like a
incompatabilty of Word with OO, than OO with Word.

>> I strongly support the appropriate use of open source software

What do you think would be the best way to get FLOSS used in the Centres ?

All the best

--
Adam