[Fsfe-uk] Re: Free Libre Open Source Software

From: Adam Moran
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Free Libre Open Source Software
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:36:00 +0000

Hi Joe, Hi Centres

Phil Hunt wrote:

If there is resistance from a user base to switching over to Open
Office, I would suggest making it voluntary for existing employees
to switch over, but giving ones that do a bonus of say 50 quid; this
would, I'm sure, generate sufficient enthusiasm within a workforce
to effect a rapid changeover without negatively affecting morale.

Joe Fortey wrote:

I strongly support the appropriate use of open source software, but the
problem for me (perhaps for most people) is not the the learning curve
to use a different office suite but the flakey compatability with
Microsoft file formats.

I recently switched my main work machine to Red Hat Fedora [1]; the only thing that was stopping me switching operating systems was the question of 'flakey compatability with Microsoft file formats'. I took the plunge and I now use Open Office 1.1.0 instead of Microsoft Office.

Until Open Office (or any alternative) can allow me to open or edit or
save any Microsoft document without page formatting or some other
feature being corrupted, it just ain't worth the fiddle - Open Office
may be both free libre and free gratis but my patience isn't libre, nor
my time gratis.

Yeah - I know what you mean :-( ... I have one remaining Windows machine in my office ... and that's to read, and append word files which are sent to me. We have had to change the formatting of our standard documentation also. New documents are fine though ... its more like a incompatabilty of Word with OO, than OO with Word.

I strongly support the appropriate use of open source software

What do you think would be the best way to get FLOSS used in the Centres ?

All the best

--
Adam