Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software Magazine got cheaper

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software Magazine got cheaper
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:45:42 +0000

Lee Braiden wrote:
On Saturday 12 March 2005 08:16, Jason Clifford wrote:

So are *you* offering to finance the costs of producing and distriubuting
the magazine to make this possible?

No, but as a member of the free software community, I'd offer to write an
article once in a while, and if maybe to mirror a public distribution site or
at least to run a bittorrent seed.  The only time you need corporate-style
finances and resources is when you choose to be a top-down distribution and
enforcement organisation.  To me, that's not what free software is about.

Well free software is about being able to modify and improve designs and share those designs. It would be a pretty dull magazine if each issue was an incremental revision of the previous issue.

Presuming there are enough people who want to write an article, somebody else needs to select articles. A better quality publication attracts more submissions and takes more selection.

AFAIK many top kernel contributors and maintainers have someone with enough interest to pay their wages. I want the magazine to keep existing each month. If a guy needs wages to do this magazine, I am happy to contribute because I get my moneys worth.

I am happy to pay money for the FSF to stay in existance. I am happy to pay money for bitTorrent to be developed more, I am happy to contribute to hosting costs of some open source projects.

It is a nice ideal for the world to be the kind of world we think it should be, sometimes financial support makes this ever so much more likely in very specific ways.

I waste more than a pound per month on truly worthless things, if I need to cut back, I'll save the pound from there.

I understand that you want the magazine to keep existing, but not to the tune of £1 per month. Thats fine, and I look forward to reading one of your contributions every now and then.

Sam