Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS strategy (Was: Beyond bitching...)

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS strategy (Was: Beyond bitching...)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:52:46 +0100

Alex Hudson wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 21:58 +0100, Graham Seaman wrote:
>

>>So this is not the AFFS list, and we can't treat it as if it were.
>>

>I said the former, but not the latter - I'm not shutting off any
>possibility, because at the end of the day anything is possible if we
>decide we want something. But, this is the FSFE's UK list, and there
>should be at least some respect for that - the FSF servers host it, and
>FSF supporters run it.

Except it's not hosted by the FSFE, it's hosted by the FSF, as are an
extremely large number of other lists, many of which seem to have no
particular relation to the FSF other than mutual sympathy and co-operation.

But if this is the FSFE's UK list, is the AFFS the FSFE's UK branch? If
not, does the FSFE have a UK branch?

>Of course, this all depends on what you mean by "the AFFS list". I don't
>think anyone is necessarily arguing against publicising this list more
>to the AFFS membership; but are you saying that the AFFS should treat
>FSFE-UK and not the newsletter as the primary means of communication
>with members?

No. I don't want to be in an organisation which communicates with its
members. I want to be in an organisation where the members communicate
with one another (and if necessary give instructions to a committee
which does the boring but necessary stuff). If members are going to
communicate with one another they need a mailing list to do so on. All
new members can be pointed to this list when they join as the place
where discussion takes place and decisions are made.  If the committee
wishes to communicate with members as a separate entity, they can do so
by whichever channel they like, but if the list is alive, that will
probably be the most effective place to do it.

Graham