Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS strategy (Was: Beyond bitching...)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS strategy (Was: Beyond bitching...)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:50:24 +0100

Graham Seaman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Are there actually large numbers of members not on the list?  If so,
> shouldn't the first step in improving communication and levels of
> involvement be to try to get them to join the list?

There were 170 members on this list this morning and a casual
inspection suggests that up to a third of these look like friends
who I expect aren't AFFS members at this time.  I think there's
a 50/50 chance of others being members, but that's just a guess
(sorry!)  That's using a fsfe-uk-admin login, as the subscriber
list display seems broken right now.

It would be great if this list was promoted to AFFS members
more, but I think Graham and Tom are right that more emphasis
needs to go on the productive things that happen. Personally,
I feel that the members of this list need to work on being free
software leaders. Please, use this list as an information source
and a recruiting ground for your own free software projects. For
example, occasional news about open.egov.org.uk would probably
remind me to contribute more (just tried - has it vanished now?)

> Alex Hudson wrote:
> >I don't think, though, that AFFS is used well enough as a
> >news channel [...]

To be an effective news channel alongside news:uk.comp.os.linux,
news:comp.os.linux.announce and LUGs, I feel AFFS needs clear
editorial policies, no ctte one-person vetoes and some promotion.
For example, submission instructions on the "News" web page.

Thanks for reading,
--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/