[Fsfe-uk] [OT-ish] Government food data

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] [OT-ish] Government food data
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:28:31 +0100

Hi,

Sorry about the off-topicness, this is more of a data than a software query.

A family member has recently become diabetic. There seems to be remarkably little free software available for diabetics (yes, I do know there are quite a few projects on sourceforge). In particular, she spends a silly amount of time looking up carbohydrate values for food in books drawn from the UK government Food Nutrient Databank. Great, I thought, I'll start with a simple spreadsheet type app to automate this bit. I now find that the data is only available in book form or under a commercial license from HMSO. I assume (haven't checked this directly with the HMSO contact person yet) that if I were to scan in the data and redistribute it with a free program I would be liable to be sued by the HMSO. This seems to be absurd, especially as it is data relevant to health, and I will follow up on this aspect.

However, I'm not in a rush to be sued (or to spend hours scanning numeric data), and wondered if in the meantime there is another alternative. The US government make their equivalent (USDA) freely available, but it's not that relevant to a British diet (I never knew what a Hershey bar was, and where are the fried mars bars?). But what about other European governments? I know there is an EU level project to consolidate this data, but it seems to be in the planning stages. What about Holland? France? Anyone know?

Thanks
Graha