Re: [Fsfe-uk] [OT-ish] Government food data

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [OT-ish] Government food data
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:53:43 +0100

Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 18:18 +0100, Philip Hunt wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 11 October 2005 17:37, Alex Hudson wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not sure that's even necessarily true. This data is probably subject
>>>to database copyright at least,
>>
>>I was under the impression that mere facts -- such as the carbohydrate values
>>of foods -- were not copyrightable. Am I wrong?
>

> You're sadly wrong :( Collections of facts are copyrightable - database
> copyright. E.g., phonebooks, that kind of thing.
>

>>My understanding is that stuff produced by the Federal government is
>>automatically public domain.
>

> I know it's not subject to US copyright, but I don't know about whether
> or not that counts for other countries. There isn't a global 'public
> domain', copyright is a national issue (subject to the whims of Berne,
> obviously). I'm guessing since Berne 'only' requires you to recognise
> foreign copyrights, that it probably is essentially copyright free, but
> I don't know - database rights are kind of new and all.

US law protects collections of public domain information, and keeps them
public domain.

European law allows a copyright on the "collection".

So a collection of PD information made under American jurisdiction is
free of copyright. So the US database is probably available as is.

Of course as pointed out nutrient values vary, but I wouldn't worry
about this, we have so many food miles on the food, and variations can
occur over short ranges and over time, and based on choice of
fertiliser. Norfolk oats use to be especially rich in Selenium, but I
doubt that is true these days.