Re: [Fsfe-uk] [OT-ish] Government food data

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [OT-ish] Government food data
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:43:28 +0100

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 18:18, Philip Hunt wrote:
> I was under the impression that mere facts -- such as the carbohydrate
> values of foods -- were not copyrightable. Am I wrong?

There is copyright on the act of collation, as well as on the items collated
(even if these are not copyright).  So words cannot be copyrighted, but a
sequence/selection of words in a dictionary can be, or the sequence of
meanings given for a particular word, the usage examples given, and so on.
This is probably a grey area to some extent, but I doubt if anyone wants to
spend a few years of their lives getting the boundary set out in a court.
Best therefore to redo from scratch, no matter how galling that is.

--

Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg