Re: [Fsfe-uk] [OT-ish] Government food data

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [OT-ish] Government food data
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:32:28 +0100

Graham Seaman wrote:

Of course it may still be that when I get a reply from the HMSO it will
read 'please feel free to distribute our dataset, or provide a pointer
to this location where it may be freely downloaded'. Pigs may fly.

The actual reply from HMSO was:

"The Composition of Foods 6th Edition is available as follows:

a) in printed format - published by the Royal Society of Chemistry, price £45; b) in electronic format - as an excel spreadsheet, price £75 -this version is held by HMSO. (The Nutrient Databank i.e. Composition of Foods 6th Edition + Supplements is £300 - see attached list)

To re-use the information from either of the above you require a licence and an annual royalty/fee would be charged. The charge would be dependant on the amount of information being re-used."

So even if I cough up the 300 quid, I can't redistribute, unless I pass on the charge.

Any idea of the next step? I guess I have to go and see my MP. But since this is general government policy with 'public' data (as with the whole ordnance survey map saga) I really can't see I'm likely to get anywhere and the prospect does not fill me with enthusiasm. An alternative would still seem to be to find where other european food data sets are held and put up pointers to them as publicly as possible in order to make the UK government policy appear silly and redundant, and try to push for change that way. Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Graham

In the meantime, I'd still like to know what the rest of Europe does.
Anyone?

Graham