Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC News partnership with Microsoft

From: Nic James Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC News partnership with Microsoft
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:44:23 +0100

Simon Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 13:12 +0100, Nic James Ferrier wrote:
>> Why isn't there a move here, among publically funded administrators,
>> as there is in the US and European states, for more open technology?
>
> Can you point to examples of these "moves" in Europe?

Maybe I'm out of date but as far back as 2001 the French Government
were enorsing open source for public projects.

The German government has been similarly enthusiastic.

I was under the impression that many had also, like many US state
administrations, adopted openoffice because of the OASIS
standarization.

> You ask why this isn't happening in the UK and the answer is fairly
> simple.. because we aren't driving it through.

That might partly be it. But I don't think it's the whole story.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs