Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC News partnership with Microsoft

From: Nic James Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC News partnership with Microsoft
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:12:12 +0100

Simon Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't hate Microsoft any more than I hate other monopolies but I do
> hate (and actually fear) the fact that this content won't be available
> to me unless I am forced to change my technology choices.

But this is the situation now with the BBC. They use realplayer videos
and other proprietary and closed tech.

It is galling, because we pay for it through our taxes. But I don't
think this is an issue about MS. It's about how public bodies feel
able to spend our money.

Why isn't there a move here, among publically funded administrators,
as there is in the US and European states, for more open technology?

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs