Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 17:49:26 +0000

Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 02:23:46PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > I'd like to see the FSF and all its advocates stop their effort at
> > retronaming Linux as GNU+Linux
>
> Retronaming? Are you kidding? Next you'll be saying that Free Software
> is an attempt to retroname the Open Source movement. Revisionists like
> Linus and ESR do real damage to the Free Software movement, we need to
> work hard to undo thier harmful work.

Arguably, calling the operating system GNU+Linux or Linux+GNU, while
more accurate, is retronaming in a way.  I'm not sure that Open Source
is a revision of Free Software - it's more a marketing campaign that
then became a tail that tries to wag the dog, encouraged by people
with various motives and interests, mostly in taking control.

Anyway, please finish this subthread (there will be a slight delay on
posts to it from now on) and direct the discussion towards the
"Growing FSFE" one.  We all know the views on GNU+Linux - unless
you've a killer unknown argument or link, please don't take the list
around in circles.

Thanks,