Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 00:38:12 +0000

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 08:56:51PM +0000, Chris Croughton wrote:
> So?  BSD predates both.  I know, let's call it GNU/Linux/BSD/Unix!
> Throw in SCO, Novell and IBM as well for fun, they all claim to have
> written bits of it.

Your comments illustrate a lack of understanding or a joke, I'm not
sure which - so appologies if I got it wrong.

Clearly the name is used to describe the important components, if you
can show me an operting system that is actually comprised of GNU,
Linux, BSD and Unix I will take your comments seriously.

Until that time, GNU is an operating system and Linux is one of it's
kernels. Sure, BSD is an operating system and it has it's own kernel,
the same with OpenSolaris. It doesn't effect the specific case of a
GNU system being run with a Linux kernel.

If you actually run an operating system with the Linux kernel as well
as the Linux user space tools, C library and shell then you should be
calling it Linux, but only then.

> As Linus' comment makes clear, although he was aware of the GNU project
> his OS was not derived from it.

Sure, but Linux these days means his kernel not his operating system.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman